Pondering of shifting to or inside Memphis, Tennessee?
Memphis is extra than simply its iconic Beale Road, Blues music, and BBQ joints. Whereas neighborhoods in Memphis are geographically shut, they’ll range considerably in each vibe and security.
Your alternative of a neighborhood will largely rely in your priorities, particularly in the case of security. The town has its protected havens, neighborhoods which are acknowledged for his or her low crime charges and tight-knit communities.
So, whether or not you’re scouting for a brief keep or trying to find a everlasting residence, I’m right here to information you on which protected Memphis neighborhood could be the proper match for you!
Is Memphis, TN Secure to Dwell In?
In comparison with different cities in Tennessee, Memphis has increased crime charges in some areas.
Sitting alongside the Mississippi River in southwestern Tennessee, is a metropolis crammed with soul, music, and wealthy historical past. With a inhabitants nearing 650,000, it’s one in every of Tennessee’s largest cities and performs a big position within the cultural tapestry of the South.
The town affords a mix of city pleasure and the allure harking back to a tight-knit neighborhood, boasting iconic sights comparable to Beale Road, Graceland, and among the finest BBQ joints you’ll ever attempt.
For those who’re contemplating shifting to or visiting Memphis, security is undoubtedly in your thoughts. Like many cities, Memphis has areas of each calm and concern.
Nonetheless, with the attract of blues music, the Mississippi riverfront, and the promise of scrumptious Southern delicacies comes the truth that Memphis, in sure areas, faces challenges with crime.
Let’s dive into the nitty-gritty of residing in Memphis, taking a look at each its safe spots and areas which may want a bit extra warning.
Kicking off with the safer sides of Memphis…
Cooper-Younger needs to be on the prime of your record if security and neighborhood are prime priorities in your neighborhood search. This small Memphis gem is residence to underneath 3,000 residents, making it an intimate space the place neighbors rapidly grow to be mates.
Cooper-Younger is 23% safer than most Memphis neighborhoods on account of an lively neighborhood watch and close-knit neighborhood. Residents right here look out for each other and work collectively to stop crime.
The low crime charges and family-friendly atmosphere make it preferrred when you have little ones. Colleges like Peabody Elementary are inside strolling distance, and households rave concerning the schooling and alternatives for his or her kids.
Tradition abounds in Cooper-Younger. You’ll discover artwork galleries, reside music venues, craft breweries, and farm-to-table eating places, all inside a couple of blocks of residence. The annual Cooper-Younger Pageant brings the neighborhood collectively to rejoice the neighborhood’s creativity with artwork, music, and scrumptious meals.
Out of doors areas just like the Greenline, Overton Park, the Liberty Bowl, and the Memphis Zoo are simply minutes away by bike or automobile. There’s no scarcity of the way to get outdoors and benefit from the good climate.
Renters and householders love the Craftsman bungalows and Victorian-era houses that give Cooper-Younger its historic allure. Whereas property values proceed to rise, Cooper-Younger stays comparatively inexpensive in comparison with different areas of Memphis.
Windyke is likely one of the most secure, most family-friendly neighborhoods in Memphis. Low crime charges, a robust sense of neighborhood, and inexpensive houses make it a perfect place to cool down.
Residence to simply over 6,000 residents, Windyke has a small-town vibe throughout the massive metropolis. You’ll get to know your neighbors right here, a lot of whom have lived there for many years. Block events, neighborhood watch teams, and neighborhood organizations assist foster that close-knit really feel.
Crime ranges in Windyke are 59% under the nationwide common. You’ll really feel safe strolling round at night time or leaving residence for a weekend getaway.
Inexpensive single-family houses and minimal visitors make Windyke a sexy neighborhood for younger households or these on a price range. Most residences have been constructed between the Fifties and Nineteen Nineties in numerous kinds like ranch, split-level, and Cape Cod. You possibly can snag a beautiful 3-bedroom home for underneath $200,000.
Eads-Fisherville is a quiet, family-friendly neighborhood situated within the northeastern a part of Memphis. Identified for being very protected, inexpensive, and community-oriented, Eads-Fisherville needs to be on the prime of your record if you wish to settle in a safe space.
Among the interesting traits of Eads-Fisherville embody:
- Low crime price. Eads-Fisherville has a 40% decrease crime price; Violent crimes are 23% decrease than the nationwide common on account of its suburban really feel and robust neighborhood watch applications. Residents really feel very protected strolling round at night time.
- Neighborhood occasions. The neighborhood affiliation organizes year-round neighborhood occasions like film nights, block events, vacation gatherings, and park cleanups. These occasions assist carry the neighborhood collectively.
- Household-friendly facilities. Eads-Fisherville has a number of facilities catering to households, like well-maintained parks, playgrounds, faculties, locations of worship, and leisure amenities. The neighborhood itself has a really family-friendly vibe.
- Inexpensive housing. You’ll discover inexpensive single-family houses in Eads-Fisherville, from small starter houses to bigger properties with massive yards. Housing prices are very cheap in comparison with different components of Memphis. Renters may also discover good offers on townhouses, residences, and duplexes.
- Handy location. Eads-Fisherville’s location offers easy accessibility to downtown Memphis, the airport, buying areas, and main highways. Nonetheless, the neighborhood maintains a quiet suburban really feel regardless of its proximity to metropolis facilities.
The River Oaks-Kirby-Balmoral neighborhood is likely one of the most safe areas in Memphis. This neighborhood is situated in East Memphis and is safer than 69% of Memphis.
River Oaks-Kirby-Balmoral is an prosperous suburb characterised by tree-lined streets, manicured lawns, and upscale houses. The low inhabitants density and lively neighborhood watch teams deter felony exercise. Housebreaking and theft are uncommon, and violent crime is sort of non-existent.
The neighborhood has a robust sense of neighborhood. Residents continuously collect for occasions like potlucks, e book golf equipment, and fundraisers. Neighbors look out for each other and report any suspicious exercise to the police instantly.
Households with kids admire the world’s glorious faculties, youth sports activities leagues, and kid-friendly facilities. Close by sights just like the Memphis Botanic Backyard, Dixon Gallery and Gardens, and the Lichterman Nature Heart provide loads of out of doors recreation and schooling alternatives.
Professionals working downtown have a simple 20-minute commute, whereas the I-40 and Sam Cooper Boulevard present fast entry to different components of town. Locals take pleasure in upscale choices at Grove Grill, Folks’s Folly, and Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen for eating and leisure.
Harbor City is one in every of Memphis’ most prestigious and most secure neighborhoods. Positioned on Mud Island in downtown Memphis, Harbor City is a quiet, gated neighborhood remoted from outdoors visitors and noise. Some causes it’s thought-about one of many most secure areas in Memphis:
- Gated neighborhood with 24-hour safety guards monitoring all entry factors. Residents and authorized guests solely are allowed in.
- Low crime charges. The seclusion and safety measures of the neighborhood assist deter felony exercise. Violent crime and property crime charges are 68% under metropolis and nationwide averages.
- Sturdy sense of neighborhood. Harbor City has an lively house owner’s affiliation, and residents continuously set up neighborhood occasions, yard gross sales, and vacation gatherings. Neighbors are likely to know and look out for one another.
- Lovely environment. Harbor City is situated alongside the Mississippi River, with parks, strolling trails, and leisure amenities for residents. Effectively-maintained houses and lawns additionally add to the enchantment.
- Household-friendly. Harbor City is a well-liked space for younger households and professionals. It has sources for folks of all ages inside its gates.
Sure, Memphis has protected locations, identical to different components of Tennessee. However, some areas within the metropolis have extra crime.
It’s a metropolis recognized for its music and historical past, however you’ll need to choose the appropriate spot to reside or go to. All the time good to know which components are most secure.
Extra from Greenback Sanity: